Working in an office, paper is essential. However, we can be more environmentally conscious about how we dispose of that paper once it is no longer needed. Using the 3 R’s, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, we can help our planet.
We can start by reducing the use of paper. Keeping track of the amount of paper used in your office is very important, both individually and collectively. It is estimated that 70% of the paper used on a workday is waste. In an increasingly digitized world, we can protect the environment by reducing the amount of paper consumption. It’s easier now than ever before.
- Buy office supplies with the least amount of packaging.
- Try to use digital forms of communication instead of paper copies.
- Use fewer disposable products.
The next thing we can do for our environment is focus on reusing everyday items. You can reuse printed documents that contain errors or are out of date by turning them over and using the back side to take notes. You can even cut them down to sticky note size to stay organized. Reuse supplies like paper clips by keeping a small container at your desk rather than throwing them away. Try a reusable water bottle or coffee cup instead of disposable plastic, paper, or Styrofoam drinking containers.
- Have places for scrap paper to be used by anyone.
- Donate old office equipment to charities who can use it.
- Wash and reuse your daily plate ware or drinking containers.
- Reuse supplies like paper clips and rubber bands
Lastly, it is imperative to recycle. Experts say that recycling, especially in an office, is one of the biggest ways to help our planet. Consider placing recycling bins in a central location in your office or individually at each desk, where people can easily access them. Keeping them close to the trash bins will help remind people to recycle instead of throwing their items away. Having a list of recyclable items can also help employees take full advantage of their recycling capabilities around the office.
- Keep recycling bins easily accessible.
- Keep a recycle bin next to printers for disposing of obvious printer errors.
- Use recycled office supplies if possible.
It is important to create a work environment that promotes energy consciousness. Making a planet-friendly environment is a major step toward improving the health of our planet. Being conscious of the waste we produce, especially in the office, is crucial to the betterment of the Earth and your business budget!
Looking for more ways to improve your office? Check out our blog 7 Themes to Incorporate into your Wellness Program.